6.26.2008

First day at the English class

Monday 6-23-08

Wow, after a very burdened afternoon, the evening was completely different. I seriously saw God move at the University tonight. At the Facultad de Idiomas (Language Department), we invited students to attend our English seminar. We presented a lecture about self-esteem, and then conversed with students in English. At the beginning, technical difficulties made me nervous. It brought up burdens from the afternoon, in which I worried constantly about Powerpoint presentations we were using, if they would function properly at each seminar, if the classroom would have adequate plugs, if the laptops we brought would have the correct connections to the projectors, etc. I hate technical difficulties, because I feel it distracts people from the message we're trying to convey. But it's simply unavoidable on missions. I felt God telling me I did my best to minimize technical difficulties, and I was being too hard on myself. So, in the end, it worked out well, and Nancy gave an excellent presentation.

I even got to meet students. Me, the shy guy... That was seriously God working in me. I met two brothers, Pablo and Prudi, who were interested in improving their English skills. Their English wasn't bad, and my limited Spanish helped the conversation (awkwardly) progress. They seemed interested in meeting again, and I was so impressed. Once again, ALL God.
On a side note, two girls asked me for my e-mail address. I'd like to think I got hit on by two Latinas! :P

At sharing tonight, on the rooftop terrace with fireworks from the San Juan celebration all over town, we learned so much about God's movement at all the departments in the University. In our Language Department, I learned that 15 of the 16 students commented that they accepted Christ. Praise Him! Seriously amazing work by God tonight! After an afternoon worrying too much about technical difficulties, God showed up, telling me to let Him take care of it. And He did, bringing 15 students to Christ from one class.

I pray that He'll continue the good work. It's only the first day, and it's going to get even better. I'm so excited to see God more and more.

- Nelson

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hurray! :)
praying for you guys